I am a problem solver that enjoys working on the guts of an application. I have been primarly focused on Ruby development and Ruby on Rails applications for over 10 years. I enjoy new challenges and look forward to new opportunities.
Graduated from The University of Texas at San Antonio with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science with a concentration in Software Engineering. GPA: 3.67
- Ruby - 11 years
- C / C++ - 11 years
- Java - 10 years
- Elixir - 3 years
- Kotlin - 2 years
- Python - 3 years
- Ruby on Rails - 10 years
- Sinatra - 5 years
- Django - 3 years
- Spring - 2 years
- Phoenix - 2 years
- Docker ~ 5 years
- Kubernetes ~ 2 years
Software Engineer: June 2019 - Present https://searchnurture.com
- Aggregated all data from Amazon’s advertising API for marketers to present graphs and progress to customers.
- Automated keyword and campaign bulk support to improve marketer’s use of time.
- Automated deployment of api service and database migrations.
Software Engineer: April 2018 - June 2019
- Reduced running costs by utilizing Elasticsearch instead of Google Big Table by approximately 400%. (Over utilization of Big Table)
- Refactored the data processing pipeline to consume less memory which allowed us to utilize our CPU and memory allocation more effectively.
- Managed and scaled the data processing pipeline to handle 1,000/s of messages a second.
Software Engineer: October 2017 - April 2018
- Utilized microservices to separate business logic for future maintainability and stability.
- Worked with the data science team in getting data into AWS Athena so that they could see how data was changing and finding discrepancies between data sources.
- Refactored our company news microserver to increase throughput by 4x.
Platform Engineer: March 2015 - October 2017
- Implemented a Rails application to handle thousands of iPads to connect to and allowed us to continue to host on Heroku and keep infrastructure costs low.
- During development we switched to using Docker and Docker Compose for local development to create deterministic test runs. This provided our team a universal way to run and test code.
- Implemented the authorization, authentication, and identity system into a separate system to handle SAML logins and SCIM employee directories.
Senior Software Engineer: August 2013 - March 2015
- Refactoring a large monolithic application into a service oriented application
- Implementing and maintaining the API at KISSmetrics
- Maintaining the Android SDK and Reader app
- Dealt with large complex systems and numerous data stores
- Developed modular railtie and engines to be mounted
- Unified out API requests and maintained a consistent return. Ensured the values followed a specific format and obeyed backwards compatibility.
- Began the process of upgrading from Ruby 1.8.6 to Ruby 2.0. Many gems were no longer receiving security updates and this gave us a path to keeping customer data safer.
- Core infrastructure was a Sinatra application that needed to be split apart into modularized services that would allow teams to ship faster and in parallel.
ZippyKid (now Pressable)
Senior Software Engineer: March 2012 - August 2013
- Ruby on Rails control panel
- Maintain MyZippyKid control panel
- Used Pivotal Tracker to augment our Agile development
- Wrote tests to ensure stability
- Interfaced with Dynect and DNSMadeEasy for DNS records
- Interfaced with Chargify as a payment system
- Used Beanstalkd as a messaging queue
Software Engineer: October 2011 - March 2012
- Used Ruby on Rails
- Implemented complex data model (30+ models)
- Learned how to test with RSpec and Capybara
- Start up company in San Antonio
Software Engineer: March 2011 – June 2011
- Worked on front-end designs
- Learned how to use Git effectively
- Start up company in San Antonio
iTEC at UTSA
Software Engineer: August 2009 - October 2011
- Installed physical server in data center
- Installed / maintained Ubuntu server
- Designed site interface
- Implemented in PHP (CodeIgniter) then transitioned to Ruby on Rails
- Built a security audit system for the site
- Eagle Scout recipient, Boy Scouts of America, earned in 2007
- Rebuilt and maintain a 1972 BMW 2002 model as my daily driver
- Built my standing desk from scratch
Free Time Activities
I enjoy playing with LibGDX and other various game platforms to gain knowledge while having fun doing it.
I also toy with Elixir projects in my spare time.
I like working with my hands and building things in my garage. Any where from cutting boards, welding, tearing motors apart, or just soldering electronics I really enjoy doing.